Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:42:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, karl@Mcs.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS broke again -- what has to be rebuilt to stop this?

> No, I well understand that -CURRENT changes.
>
> That's the point of it being "current".
>
> However, if I want to run a new kernel, I shouldn't have to rebuild half
> of the system utilities!
>
> I can understand if kernel structures change.  But FreeBSD *BADLY* needs a
> reasonable way to avoid this kind of problem.  There IS a fix for this --
> reasonably-version the shared libraries (ie: libc.so.3.0.2, etc) and embed
> the preferred library name in the executable being built.
>
> Now if you change the kernel structures and the "ps/w/everything-that-reads
> structures" has to change, you can update libkvm.so.x.y.z *ONLY* and get a
> new version number for it -- and the new executables you build for it will
> know what they want.
>
> "make install" on an NFS mounted obj and src tree is unacceptable for a
> number of reasons -- not the least of which is that all of the SUID security
> fixes that I have done get UNDONE when you do this!

Personally, I've always thought that the structure should be absracted
from the reporting -- specifically, ps should use procfs.

The problem with this approach is that ps then fails to operate on
crashdumps, which are by definition passive data.  If this was an
acceptable outcome (one could argue that a functioning kdb should
be capable of doing a ps, since a panic could leave you at a debug
prompt, and you may still want to ps before rebooting), then moving
to an abstracted interface would permanently solve the problem for
all utilities that otherwise read kvm.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---