Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:51:25 -0700
From:      Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@agilent.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bus_alloc_resource question

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:54:53PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Generally, one doesn't need to set the resource value.  Doing so
> usually indicates the presence of some bug in the system.  Also, just

I realize now that the original email wasn't clear. This is a bus
driver for a new bus. Think of the physical addresses from 0xe0000000
- 0xefffffff as being a memory mapped config space for devices. Each
4KB segment of this region maps the configuration space for every
possible bus, device, function number combination. I was thinking that
each of these segments was a bus resource, but maybe that isn't the
right approach. Any thoughts as to a better approach?

Jake Burkholder suggested using pmap_mapdev() for small sections of
memory, but cautioned that this uses up virtual address space. The bus
driver could map each segment to test if a device was there and unmap
the segments that didn't contain devices.

--
Chuck Tuffli
Agilent Technologies, Storage Area Networking