Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:10:56 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jalmberg@identry.com
Subject:   Re: safest way to upgrade a production server

On 8 Sep 2008 , freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org entreated about
 "freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 232, Issue 3":

> >> FreeBSD ***servername*** 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #1:
> >> Mon Dec  3 09:46:53 EST 2007     root@***servername***:/usr/obj/usr/
> >> src/sys/INET_ON  amd64
> >
> > oooh, that is a bit old I think.
>
> I chose this server as an example, because it's the oldest one. I
> didn't install the OS on this server, the vendor did. Not sure why
> they chose a prerelease version... perhaps 6.3 was almost ready to go
> and they wanted to put us on the 6.3 branch? I don't know.

maybe 6.3 had the drivers for the motherboard?   I had that - I
purchased a nice shiny newmotherbaord in 2007 but could not use it
before 7.0R came out as the chips were not supported by 6.x.  I chose
not to use a CURRENT or RC version of 7, but to just wait.

> Anyway, I guess what I should do is patch this to the latest 6.3
> version?

yes.

> Or should I go to the latest 6.x version? I am pretty sure I don't
> want to experiment with a 7.x upgrade.

6.3 is the latest 6 verison (-:

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research