Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 95 00:35 CST
From:      krnlhkr@mcs.com
To:        David Lim <lim@telerobotics.jpl.nasa.gov>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] FreeBSD 2.0R - fdisk is non-destructive?

<---- Begin Included Message ---->

I just installed FreeBSD 2.0-R from the Walnut CD-ROM on a 1 Gbyte drive. I
created two slices one for DOS and one for FreeBSD. When I boot DOS, I run
fdisk, and it shows the slice sizes correctly. However, the DOS dir command
still reports free space relative to the entire disk. E.g. it says 100 Mbytes
used, 900 Mbytes free. Is this just a DOS bug of some sort? I'm worried that
DOS will overwrite sectors assigned to FreeBSD.

<---- End Included Message ---->

This may seem stupid, but are you running Stacker or something
like it?

If not, check to see if the BIOS says you have more than 1024
cylinders.  If it does, you may have to upgrade your BIOS
or run a TSR that comes with the drive.  DOS can't see more
than 1024 cylinders, and may get confused.

One way around this is to put DOS completely in the first 1024 cylinders.
This way if ncyl % 1024 is stored in the partition table, it will be
correct for DOS.

That's my best guess without knowing exactly what you have.

-Louis

Louis J. Giliberto, Jr.    !  Support the Free Software Foundation
krnlhkr@mcs.com            !