Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:47:45 +0200
From:      Robert Millan <rmh@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase DFLDSIZ on amd64?

Hi Peter,

El 19 d=E2=80=99abril de 2012 0:23, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> ha escrit:
> Hmm. =C2=A0In login,conf, we have:
> :datasize=3Dunlimited:
> .. which causes the datasize limit to be pushed to 32G by default at
> login/cron/sshd/etc.

Well, Debian has a similar facility, but I don't think this solves the
problem, as it only covers processes that descend from a login shell.
What about daemons?

> Also, malloc doesn't use this pool on amd64 - it comes straight out of
> mmap MAP_ANON page blocks. =C2=A0The only that should be hitting it ever
> would be things that call the old sbrk(3) interface directly. =C2=A0Mallo=
> shouldn't be hitting it.

I hit trouble with the dynamic linker:

# cat test.c
char buf[1024*1024*1024];
int
main ()
{
}
# gcc test.c -o test
# ./test
Abort trap: 6

Not sure about other things but IMHO it's a valid reason to increase
the default to match with the one set by userland.

--=20
Robert Millan