Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 17:07:39 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>, Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl wrapper and PATH

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:48:05AM -0400, Trish Lynch wrote:

> The wrapper is there so that there are no suprises to people that
> *expect* perl in the system.

> What would possibly be a good idea is that the wrapper is there, but
> it doesn;t actually redirect to the new perl. Then use.perl is run
> from the port. The case for "system" should be removed or some way of
> relinking to the wrapper instead should be provided?

It sounds reasonable, but what's the point of having a wrapper at all
then?

> The problem is that use.perl is needed on -STABLE systems, so... a
> different behaviour when the OS version is >=5 might be needed?

I don't like that but I am afraid it has to be done.

> I Cc:ed this to the ports maintainer just in case... If they would
> like I can fix use.perl to have a different behaviour on -current and
> thereafter, but I don;t want to step on anybody's toes.

Thanks, but I think I'll try to hack something up during weekend.

I am of the opinion that we don't need the wrapper and that use.perl can
easily do some symlink magic to solve all outstanding issues with perl
in -current.

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |