Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 01:46:19 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Foundation: Examples of FreeBSD as teaching aid/research plat

[Moved to -advocacy]

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 01:26:09PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs scribbled:
| specific examples of how FreeBSD is used as either a teaching
| aid or a research platform by educational institutions.  If possible,

http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/os uses FreeBSD to teach OS Arch.
I would estimate about 10-15% of *.edu.tw workstations is running FreeBSD,
with a major following in the dorms. (sometimes much larger following
than Linux.)

As a teaching assistant, I use FreeBSD source to supplement my classes
at Univ of Texas at Austin, ece.utexas.edu
(Professor uses C++, Codewarrior/x86, and I will withhold opinion on that.)

I also use FreeBSD on my own research project about high traffic
router redundancy/load balancing controlled via neural networks.

At AMD, I used FreeBSD/Alpha/x86 to do VHDL simulations and chip
verifications for a while.

I think USC has a course on OS Architecture using FreeBSD, Kris
Kennaway has a url, which I forget.

physics.purdue.edu runs FreeBSD in the computer labs, according
to Will Andrews.

IIRC, Drew Gallatin and duke.edu uses FreeBSD/Alpha+myrinet.

China's government was considering to make FreeBSD its default
*.gov.cn OS, but decided on Linux eventually.