Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:18:24 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support for ADSL cards drivers in FreeBSD

On 2 Mar 1999 13:52:44 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>>  When you get service from USWEST, you get the 675 free, along with a 3COM
>>  ethernet board (ISA, I think). I think they say it's a $300 value, or so.
>>
>>  We also don't sell the 605 separately. The only way I know how to get one
>>  is to buy a computer from Dell with it pre-installed.
>
>for the money, the Cisco 675 is a great deal, but I have no doubt the need
>for the Cisco 605 driver will be more vocal in the future (esp, if Cisco
>starts pushing these devices in new computers instead of modems -- I guess
>that won't happen until ASDL is common). Even in sticks (Fargo), last summer,

I think it will be a while before there is some sort of common standard.
In many parts of Canada, the dominant telco is offering their own
propriatory form of xDSL through Nortel's megabit modem.  Bell Canada
really likes this because its a simple line card upgrade to their switch.
They are also aggressivly marketing it in the US as well, where their DMS
switch technology is deployed.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,