Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2006 08:55:46 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Michael Dreiding <mpdred@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with installation

Michael Dreiding wrote:
> I have downloaded the AMD64 version 6.1
> Every time I start with the boot disk loader, I get a
> menu with 7 options.  Whenever I select 1 through 5
> (Boot FreeBSD . . .) my laptop shuts down.
>
> I am running on a Laptop AMD64 3400+
>
> What do I need to do to get this to install?

Try looking for a BIOS update for your laptop, and try disabling what you can
in the BIOS config, and/or turning the disk & CD/DVD-ROM drive from UDMA to
PIO temporarily.

You might also try booting from a 32-bit x86 version of FreeBSD and see
whether that does any better.  More info about your hardware would also be
helpful...

--
-Chuck