Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:55:14 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: About NFS and NFSv3/UDP errors with iozone

In message <20010406092243.A47655@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>, Cejka Rudolf writes:

># ./run.sh
>NFS setattr failed for server kunhuta: error 5 (RPC: Timed out)
>fdopen: Connection timed out
>
>Please, is it reproducible on the other sites?
>Or is it a natural behavior because of UDP protocol use?

If this is what I think it is, then you could work around it by
either adding "-d,-t2" to the mount options, or don't use the "soft"
option.

Normally (without "-d") NFS maintains round-trip-time estimates
for different types of operations. It uses these measured times to
dynamically adjust the timeout for requests. However, because write
operations have such a large variance in completion time, it can
occasionally time out a request when the server is just very slow
to respond.

This might happen if a number of requests completed very quickly
(say 1ms), and then due to disk activity on the server, one request
takes much longer (say 1s). The "-d" (dumbtimer) option switches
off the dynamic retransmit timeout algorithm.

Ian