Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:28:38 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Seppo Kallio <kallio@silmu.st.jyu.fi>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post breakin log (Saint/Nessus/?)

Seppo Kallio writes:

> Is there good tools to make a check if my (or neighbour's) node has good
> security or not? I think in principle that kind of tool is possible, but
> it should be updatet daily and easy to use (so that I can run it daily).

	From the inside:
		COPS (a bit outdated)
	From the network:
		Check out SAINT, Nessus.
		TAMU Drawbridge
		NFR (this is more of a toolkit than a plug-n-play program)
		Commercial: ISS Scanner

	But mostly: good security practices :-)

	Check out
	- Robert Watson's excellent work on FreeBSD, including
	his hardening project: http://www.watson.org/fbsd-hardening/
	- Jan Koum's FreeBSD security HowTo: http://www.best.com/~jkb/howto.txt
	- Guy Helmer wrote a good article in Sysadmin (can't find the URL right now),
	  "Security tools in FreeBSD"

	I have available on demand a biblio. list of a few hundred (500-600)
	references security articles/books/papers (courtesy of Osiris@pacific.net)

> Some simple tool to check our nodes and the nodes of the professors could be
> very nice!

	Unplug them from the net :-)

> I have head about http://www.wwdsi.com/saint/ (Saint) and
> http://www.nessus.org/ (Nessus)  how are they? Experiences?

	Saint is more to do verifications, it picks up where SATAN
	left off (and indeed uses the same interface)

	Nessus is more denial-of-service (indeed, it will
	take down anything Microsoft-related, and most commercial
	OSes without patches), and intrusion oriented.

> I think the app should have (secure) database somewhere in net to
> check the bug free popper version number for example. Or easy automatic
> local database update (by 'mirror' or something).

	Then you want ISS scanner.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-

               The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.