Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:45:06 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Please clean out your */etc/rc.d directories

Doug Barton wrote this message on Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:50 -0800:
> I should have said this in my last heads up message, sorry for forgetting
> about this important detail. The new code tries to run any script in a
> local_startup directory (by default /usr/local/etc/rc.d and
> /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d) that has the execute bit set. So, if there is a script
> in one of those directories that you don't want run at all, the safest
> thing to do is to create a directory within rc.d, and move the script
> there. Parsing of these scripts is not a recursive operation. The second
> safest thing to do is to remove the execute bit from those scripts.

Does this mean that we will remove the .sh extension on port rc.d startup
scripts?  Because a) it's been only running .sh scripts for quite a
while, and b) it's really nice and easy to disable scripts by moving
them to .old or another extension..

Also, how will this effect cups which installs a .sample file?  and
any other port that does this?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579