Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:59:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Postmark results with DPT RAID-5

On Friday, 23 July 1999 at  6:06:03 -0000, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to stress test a DPT RAID controller DPT SmartRaid
> Ultra PM3334UW (Is there any standard mechanism or a methodology
> available for this). Any way, I am using the benchmark tool "Postmark"
> written by Network Appliance which is available via the URL
> http://www.netapp.com/technology/level3/3022.html.

I've had a look at this benchmark.  I don't understand why they want
to do things this way.  Many factors influence overall system
throughput; if you want to measure only one part of it, measuring
"real-life" performance is confusing.

If you want to measure just the storage device throughput, look at
rawio (ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/rawio.tar.gz).  If you do use it, I'd
be very interested in your results.

Greg