Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:19:33 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre@albsmeier.net>
To:        Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: dual processor setup...

On Tue, 15-Jan-2002 at 13:38:10 -0500, Matt Penna wrote:
> At 01:17 AM 1/15/02 -0800, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> >Has anyone had any experience with installing FreeBSD on an Asus P2B
> >series MB?
>
> Hey, there!
>
> I'm using a P2B (single CPU board) in this machine and FreeBSD installs and
> runs just fine. I haven't tried it with a P2B-D or P2B-DS, though I have a
> P2B-DS sitting around here somewhere.
>
> >Also, if the processors were of a different stepping, would it matter?
>
> I really don't think this is a supported configuration on that board. I
> seem to recall trying this just to see if it would work and the system
> simply wouldn't power up, but I might be thinking of another system...
>
> Best of luck with it. Incidentally, most - but not all - revisions of that
> board won't support Coppermine CPU's, so don't plan on putting anything
> faster than a 600MHz CPU in it, regardless of the stepping. I got burned by
> this one personally. :)

That depends. All P2B-xx I have seen use a powersupply chip that is called
600xy IIRC. x is the type and y the revision. Some type/revision combination
does not support the lower voltages. My experiences are:

Supported:	P2B-L P2B-LS P2B-D
Unsupported:	P2B

If you want to be sure, locate the chip on your mobo, search for the
datasheet in the net and check if the lower voltages are supported.
Beware, the revisions are important!

I myself have a P2B-LS running with a 1GHz CPU and several P2B-L
running with a 800MHz CPU (using the correct voltage, of course).

Although Asus doesn't mention it, they even support the 800MHz
CPU in their newer BIOSes.

	-Andre