Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:29:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster_16 and FreeBSD-4.1 ?

At Tue, 17 Oct 2000 it looks like Andresen,Jason R. composed:

AR-->Soundblaster 16s play music and sound effects just fine in every
AR-->version of FreeBSD I've ever used.  In FreeBSD 4.x you need to crank
AR-->the volume up a lot higher than you used to (I usually put vol, pcm,
AR-->and ogain at 100 and leave my speakers in the middle position).
AR-->
AR-->Full duplex mode doesn't work in 4.0, but it supposedly works in
AR-->4-CURRENT. Full duplex mode works fine in 3.x.  Note that the SB16
AR-->has a design deficency that really makes it more like 3/4 duplex.
AR-->
AR-->To use the soundcard, you have to recompile a kernel (4.x) with:
AR-->device pcm
AR-->device sbc
AR-->If you have an old ISA non-pnp version, you will also have to include
AR-->the IO port, IRQs, and DMAs (see LINT).
AR-->
<humbly_snipped>

Thanks Jason,
	The file did specify the device as sbc0 with the recommended
params. I'm at home now and will go back to work tomorrow and take a
try at it. Thanks again.

--
Bill Schoolcraft           http://wiliweld.com
PO Box 210076	        San Francisco, CA 94121

       " saevis tranquillus in undis "