Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:44:17 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>, John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>, developers@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3-RC5 now on ftp.freebsd.org

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 03:29:46PM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 06:05:42PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> >And even in "normal" situations, it's quite hard to actually get all the
> >bit's from ftp.freesoftware.com ...
>
>    You know, it is impossible to please everyone. When the machine was on the
> west coast, people on the east coast complained all the time that performance
> sucked. Then we move it to the east coast, and people on the west coast
> complain.

Being in europe, New York is closer (both network topology wise and in
pure distance), than the west cost, so I don't consider that a problem.

But I'd say that the fact that mirrors have a hard time getting the
bit's, only makes the problem on ftp.FreeBSD.org worse, as more users
will try to get the bit's from the main site, when the mirrors havn't
got them.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)