Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:31:58 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse question....

* Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> [000824 21:50] wrote:

>     Hi, Y'all,
>
>     This is a long shot, but here goes.  --On my other FBSD system
>     which is as 4.0, the mouse won't work.  A friend just checked
>     the hardware ports, switched the mouse from COM1 to COM2.  (COM2
>     or, in the case of my modem, /dev/cuaa1, is working.)  Zip;
>     nothing.  He tried the mouse on this system on the other.  Again,
>     nothinng.  He thinks that in my upgrading to 4.0, part of my
>     mouse software may have been hosed.
>
>     Any suggestions how I can diagnose the software side of this?
>
>     I'm stumped.

It's possible that there's a switch somewhere on the mouse that makes
it go from "microsoft" to "mousesystems" try toggling the switch
and alternating between moused settings for "microsoft" and
"mousesystems".

Some mice have the switch but "mousesystems" doesn't seem to work
properly, so your best bet is to try both toggles with moused set
as "microsoft", once you get that working you may want to try
the other position and "mousesystems" in order to get use of your
third button if you have one.

If your mouse doesn't have a toggle... well then save this for future
reference. :)

-Alfred