Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:02:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From:      Randall Hyde <randyhyde@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   chdir/rmdir

Hi,
I recently made a couple of calls like the following

// currently in /x/y/z

chdir( "/x/y" );
rmdir( "/x/y/z" );

When I did at "gwd" call, it returned "/x/y/z" along with ENOTDIR.
Is this a known issue?

I'm making low-level (assembly) calls via int 0x80 to do the above (not C stdlib), though I can't imagine that's causing the problem (then again, I've written broken code before :-(, this wouldn't be the first time I've messed up, though I have studied the code very closely and the same function calls work fine in other contexts).

Thanks for any input,
Randy Hyde
P.S. I noticed that the man pages said something about using open on "." and fchdir to more robustly switch back to some previous directory; this is what has me wondering if there is a problem with executing statements like the above.