Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:37:29 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@ibm.net>
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Parallel Port/Printer Code

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 08:04:26AM -0600, Andrew M. Miklic wrote:
> I don't think the vpo driver works (from previous conversiosations I've had with
> people, it stopped working way back arounf the 3.4 stage, and hasn't worked
> since)--apparently, someone tracked the problem down to an issue of ECP ports not
> being recognized, and therefore, not initialized properly...

That person was probably me.  It was a while ago, but vpo in ECP/EPP mode
wasn't working with 3.4 on my intel box.  I found that forcing the flags
for the ppc driver to ECP/PS2/NIBBLE (0xb) allowed the vpo driver to work.
Maybe this would work on the Alpha in 4.0?  Anyway, I had reported this
to the driver's author, but don't know what came of it.

> As for the generic lpt/ppc code, I did finally generate the diffs, but they were
> 5.0-current based, and have since been merged and the diffs deleted--I can help
> you with the diffs for the 4.0-release, if you really want to take this on
> (someone else was going to do this, and I even gave him the diffs at that time,
> but he became disenchanted with FreeBSD and fled to Linux...)

I'm very much interested!

> Only one of the files is really involved, and not much at that...most of the
> files that need to be modified are files to include it and its associated options
> in the build process for Alpha...
>
> Let me know if you're still interested...
>
> P.S Doug Rabson (dfr@nlsystems.com) was the person I was working with; he is the
> commiter for this stuff--you might want to contact him, as he may still have the
> original diffs laying around somewhere, which might save some time and effort...
>
> Andrew

I'll copy this message to Doug and the list.  Doug, do you have these diffs
still laying around?

Thanks,
-Mark