Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:31:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Handspring Visor

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> Just curious, but does anyone know if the handspring visor's USB cradle is
> supported by FreeBSD? I'm thinking about getting one of these, and it uses
> PalmOS, but I couldn't find any info on getting it to work with FreeBSD.

Well, the USB subsystem in FreeBSD will work with the Visor. You run usbd
and, if you configure it properly, it will recognize your visor and run
some program like Coldsync automatically. You can use Coldsync to back up
the Visor or Palm to a directory on the FreeBSD box and sync with it.
Coldsync allows you to use "conduits", which you can write yourself and
are used to move stuff back and forth from the palm environment to unix,
but there aren't many available. Most people seem to prefer a "desktop"
presentation on the unix end.

The best desktop for unix seems to be J-Pilot, which I was not able to get
working with the USB interface. It works fine with a serial interface,so
I bought a Belkin serial cable for my Visor for about $25 and it works
fine with J-Pilot.

That's my story.. and I'm stickin' to it..

-Jim Durham