Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:03:20 -0500
From:      Adam Stylinski <stylinae@mail.uc.edu>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ataraid and 9.0 RC-2

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:38:47PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Hi.
>=20
> On 27.11.2011 01:41, Adam Stylinski wrote:
> > I just ran freebsd-update to get up to 9.0-RC2 and discovered that atar=
aid does not work.  I realize I'm an edge case and my scenario is not ideal=
 (I use an ITE controller and performance is actually impressively slow), b=
ut I cannot boot 9.0 from my stripe, even after manually loading ataraid fr=
om the loader prompt (after running an unload command).  I mention it mostl=
y because other people using the fakeraid setup by their motherboards for w=
hatever reason (perhaps to share a partition table with windows on the same=
 mirror or stripe) may have a similar problem.  It seems like the ar0 devic=
e disappeared for me completely (even though it finds ada0 and ada1).  I'm =
using the following device:

> > atapci0@pci0:2:11:0:    class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x00000000 chip=3D0x821=
21283 rev=3D0x13 hdr=3D0x00
> >      vendor     =3D 'Integrated Technology Express (ITE) Inc'
> >      device     =3D 'ATA 133 IDE RAID Controller (IT8212F)'
> >      class      =3D mass storage
> >      subclass   =3D RAID
> > rl0@pci0:2:13:0:        class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x80ea104d chip=3D0x813=
910ec rev=3D0x10 hdr=3D0x00

> > At first I figured because it may be loading AHCI (as per the device na=
ming schemes ada0 and ada1).  I haven't looked too much into it (these devi=
ces are actually PATA not SATA, so AHCI doesn't even exist for these), but =
maybe there's an ATA/AHCI driver that's built into the default kernelthat i=
s interfering with ataraid.ko?  Maybe this interferes with my stupidly slow=
 and unpopular configuration.

> > Thanks for any help, I'll also have a gander at the new DEFAULTS for th=
e generic kernel in the 9.0 source tree.
>=20
> FreeBSD 9.x uses new CAM-bases ATA subsystem. ataraid driver depends on=
=20
> old ATA infrastructure and does not work with new. Instead, new GEOM=20
> RAID class was implemented. Unluckily, as soon as ITE produced only PATA=
=20
> controllers, there is no support for their metadata format in geom_raid=
=20
> module now. So, at the moment, the only option to access that RAID=20
> volume is to build custom kernel with old ATA and use ataraid.=20
> Respective kernel options listed in /usr/src/UPDATING item from 20110424.
>=20
> --=20
> Alexander Motin
>=20

Hmm, I may just as well dump the UFS and restore it to a totally geom based=
 solution.  If anything it will likely help rather than hurt my performance=
=2E =20

--=20
Adam Stylinski
PGP Key: http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~adam/publickey.pub