Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:16:04 -0400
From:      "James Schoch" <jschoch@siscom.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Iinstallation of a complete system - Sit down and start using the programs

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C01776.1E238D00

Sorry, I did not know where to sent this!

I have noticed remarks indicating FreeBSD seemed to have problems with =
obtaining the same recognition as Linux. It would seem to me that a good =
way of helping this along would be to have a complete installation, =
including the printer, KDE interface and an office suite. The average =
person seems to be interested in getting a system installed and starting =
to use it, not all the intricacies of how the actual operating system =
works. I can only assume that this has been well discussed and either =
nixed or about 90% complete at this time. It seems to me that since you =
have one of the most stable UNIX systems out there and a talented group =
of programmers this should be no great problem.

I have been retired and trying to learn something about a UNIX type =
system to keep my brain from going to mush. The only problem have not =
been unable to resolve is getting the printer up and working (not a line =
printer). Networking, Star Office (does not print) and other apps have =
given me no problems. I have checked all FreeBSD, Linux and some UNIX =
books breaking down the information to a by the numbers check list. I do =
not feel that I am the only one with this problem. I would rather tear =
your installation apart to see how you got the printer to work.

Had Caldera had their Linux system at or near its present state 5-6 =
years ago I would have been using it. The printer is set up =
automatically and works well.=20

I have not been a Microsoft fan since I attempted to buy my first =
computer about 10 years ago and was told by established dealers that I =
would have Windows installed if I wanted it or not. I found a non =
established dealer and worked with DOS and WordStar with their dot =
commands till I permanently retired. Dot commands are not the most user =
friendly thing. This is not to say that Microsoft does not have some =
good programs. It took too long for suit to be filed.

James D. Schoch

jschoch@siscom.net

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C01776.1E238D00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>Sorry, I did not know where to sent this!</P>
<P>I have noticed remarks indicating FreeBSD seemed to have problems =
with=20
obtaining the same recognition as Linux. It would seem to me that a good =
way of=20
helping this along would be to have a complete installation, including =
the=20
printer, KDE interface and an office suite. The average person seems to =
be=20
interested in getting a system installed and starting to use it, not all =
the=20
intricacies of how the actual operating system works. I can only assume =
that=20
this has been well discussed and either nixed or about 90% complete at =
this=20
time. It seems to me that since you have one of the most stable UNIX =
systems out=20
there and a talented group of programmers this should be no great =
problem.</P>
<P>I have been retired and trying to learn something about a UNIX type =
system to=20
keep my brain from going to mush. The only problem have not been unable =
to=20
resolve&nbsp;is getting the printer up and working (not a line printer). =

Networking, Star Office (does not print) and other apps have given me no =

problems.&nbsp;I have checked all FreeBSD, Linux and some UNIX books =
breaking=20
down the information to a by the numbers check list.&nbsp;I do not feel =
that I=20
am the only one with this problem. I would rather tear your installation =
apart=20
to see how you got the printer to work.</P>
<P>Had Caldera had their Linux system at or near its present state 5-6 =
years ago=20
I would have been using it. The printer is set up automatically and =
works well.=20
</P>
<P>I have not been a Microsoft fan since I attempted to buy my first =
computer=20
about 10 years ago and was told by established dealers that I would have =
Windows=20
installed if I wanted it or not. I found a non established dealer and =
worked=20
with DOS and WordStar with their dot commands till I permanently =
retired. Dot=20
commands are not the most user friendly thing. This is not to say that =
Microsoft=20
does not have some good programs.&nbsp;It took too long for suit to be=20
filed.</P>
<P>James D. Schoch</P>
<P>jschoch@siscom.net</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C01776.1E238D00--