Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:40:21 GMT
From:      "Sam Varshavchik" <mrsam@courier-mta.com>
To:        Yarema <yds@dppl.com>
Cc:        courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net, ports@FreeBSD.org, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: Courier-MTA on FreeBSD

Yarema writes:

> install/deinstall/reinstall/package/pkg_delete/pkg_add all seem to work.
> Optional BUILD_DEPENDS include expect, gpg, [ai]spell and procmail.  The
> package does not have a RUN_DEPENDS on the above since it is my
> understanding that removing the above packages will not break a running
> Courier system.

Correct.  'expect' is only needed to allow login passwords to be changed via
webmail.  gpg and aspell are also needed to enable optional webmail
components.

Right now, without expect, the change password screen in webmail will be
broken.  No big deal, you can fix this later.

> I'm thinking of splitting the port into master/slave ports where the slave
> ports would only build/install authdaemond.{ldap,mysql,pgsql} plus related
> config and support files.  This would for the most part solve the above
> db3 linking issue.

You only need to put authdaemond.* into the corresponding subpackages.
Don't bother with the config files.  For extra credit, -mysql should have
authdaemond.mysql, admin-15mysql.html and admin-15mysql.pl.  -ldap should
have authdaemond.ldap, admin-15ldap.html, admin-15ldap.pl,
admin-15ldapa.html, admin-15ldapa.pl, and courierldapaliasd.  -pgsql should
have authdaemond.pgsql, admin-15pgsql.html, and admin-15pgsql.pl.

If you can specify conflicts, specify that -mysql, -ldap, and -pgsql
conflict with each other.

With this packaging, webadmin will not have a MySQL config screen unless
 -mysql is installed, etc...

This happens to be exactly how Courier RPMs are built.  There are also
separate -webadmin, -webmail, -maildrop, -smtpauth; and several other RPM
subpackages that install various modular components of the whole system.

> wouldn't resolve any DNS.  Rebuilding courier --without-ipv6 solved that
> problem.  I only use djbdns and not BIND.  So for what it's worth courier
> --with-ipv6 does not work with djbdns.

This is possibly for the same reason that OpenBSD IPv6 doesn't work either:
some apparent issues with IPv6 header files. On some xBSD systems, accept()
apparently returns a shorter sockaddr_in6 address structure than what's
declared in the header files, which fails my sanity check.  Apparently the
header files declare some padding at the tail end of sockaddr_in6 that is
not present in the address structure that comes back from accept().  I
believe that this is wrong.  It is reasonable to expect that accept() on an
IPv6 socket will return a sockaddr_in6 structure, and not something
different, with a shorter size.

--
Sam