Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:40:16 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /var fills up with SQL191e_0.ISD, SQL191e_0.ISM

Twice, in the past 24 hours, one of my webservers has filled up on /var.
When I check /var/tmp, I see lots of these (ignore the owner/group, I've
since changed that):

-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  2097152 Aug 29 19:44 SQL17ac_0.ISD
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:00 SQL17ac_0.ISM
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  1966080 Aug 29 19:45 SQL17ae_0.ISD
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:01 SQL17ae_0.ISM
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  1572864 Aug 29 19:44 SQL17b0_0.ISD
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:01 SQL17b0_0.ISM
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan  1441792 Aug 29 19:44 SQL17b2_0.ISD
-rw-rw----  1 dan  dan     1024 Aug 29 19:01 SQL17b2_0.ISM

In all, there are 70 such files.  Most of the .ISD have size zero.  Many of
the .ISM are 1024 but a few are large like the above.

What are these files?  Why are they being created?

The box is:

FreeBSD set.freshports.org 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0: Sat
Jul 29 20:15:07 NZST 2000
root@set.freshports.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/BUFFIPSEC  i386

It's running: apache-1.3.12, mod_php-3.0.16, mysql-server-3.22.32.

If I stop mysqld and remove the files in question, /var goes back to
about 15%.  If I check the apache logs around the time at which the first
"/var full" messages start appearing, I see nothing which jumps out.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/