Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:51:38 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Jo=BEe_Zobec?= <jozze.zepl@gmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@bitfrost.no>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: webcamd rejects audio/oss modules

The kernel doesn't build with snd_uaudio.ko if there is sound.ko missing.

GENERIC kernel cannot load modules osscore.ko and oss_hdaudio.ko with
sound.ko either built in the kernel or loaded as a module. When I tried to
load snd_uaudio.ko manually, with both osscore.ko and oss_hdaudio.ko
loaded, exactly the same happened, as if I plugged in my camera.

I plugged in the camera after 50s of running (practically immediately after
boot). This is the kernel message on my monitor. I enabled dumpdev=3D"AUTO"
in my /etc/rc.conf, to get the full output, but there was no file in
/var/log showing anything, so I just wrote here what I managed to see on
the screen:

(ada0:ata5:0:0:0): Error 5, Retries exahusted
(ada0:ata5:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed
(ada1:ata5:0:1:0): FLUSHCACHE48. ACB: ea 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(ada1:ata5:0:1:0): CAM status: CCB request is in progress
(ada1:ata5:0:1:0): Error 5, Retries exhausted
(ada1:ata5:0:1:0): Synchronize cache failed
Dumping 320 out of 3052 MB:kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

cpuid =3D 7; apic id =3D 07
fault virtual address        =3D 0x0
fault code                       =3D supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer          =3D 0x20:0xffffffff8028020c
stack pointer                  =3D 0x28:0xffffff80db5de890
frame pointer                 =3D 0x28:0xffffff80db5de940
code segment                =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                      =3D DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0,
gran 1
processor eflags             =3D resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process              =3D 1526 (kldload)
trap number                  =3D 12
panic: page fault
cpuid =3D 7
Uptime: 50s

2013/6/11 Jo=BEe Zobec <jozze.zepl@gmail.com>

> Yes, I built without snd_uaudio.ko.
>
> In order to use the port audio/oss, I had to disable the sound.ko, so I
> had to exclude it from the kernel, and add it as a module.
>
> I agree, that snd_uaudio.ko brought improvements. I like it a lot. But
> snd_hda.ko, which I use to listen to music make those scratchy sounds all
> the time, where the music should be crystal clear.
>
> I will try now with the GENERIC kernel, and the kernel without sound.ko,
> and snd_hda.ko, but with snd_uaudio.ko enabled and see what will happen.
>
> Jo=BEe
>

> 2013/6/11 Hans Petter Selasky <hps@bitfrost.no>
>
>> On 06/10/13 22:39, Jo=BEe Zobec wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> my name is Jo=BEe Zobec. I am using Logitech Webcam C525. So fare I hav=
>>> been
>>> able to use it flawlessly with drivers tat came with the base system.
>>> However, those same drivers fared rather poorly when I used them with
>>> audio/musicpd, so I tried to use audio/oss.
>>>
>>> So far so good. There has been a great improvement on the output qualit=
>>> given by musicpd, but my webcam doesn't work with these modules -- kern=
el
>>> automatically tries to create a /dev/dsp* device. To do that, it requir=
es
>>> sound.ko module, which conflicts with module osscore.ko, supplied by th=