Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:59:54 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "steinyv" <steinyv@skyweb.net>
Subject:   Re: RJ45

----- Original Message -----
From: "steinyv" <steinyv@skyweb.net>

| I want to make my own cables.  Does anyone know of a site that
describes
| the pin out of the connector, and what wires to use?  I came across
one
| site, but I need to cross reference so that I could verify the correct
| information.  Im trying to make a straight through on cat 5 cable.

Just to add my $0.02:

EIA568A Color codes (1-8):

White Green
Green
White Orange
Blue
White Blue
Orange
White Brown
Brown

EIA568B Color codes (1-8):

White Orange
Orange
White Green
Blue
White Blue
Green
White Brown
Brown

Bandwidth-wasting trivia questions:

What purpose does the thousands (millions?) of miles of basically unused
copper connecting pins 4, 5, 7 & 8 in CAT-5 cables throughout the world
serve? Does it provide extra mojo for the signal?  IEEE has stock
options in the copper mining industry?  Overly optimistic gigabit
upgrade planning? The Cat-5 standard was the closest thing to carrying a
100Mhz signal on four wires and the others were just part of the cabling
spec unrelated to the 100baseT ethernet spec?

We actually have some 10m drop cables with "CAT 5" printed on the
jacketing but only four wires -- I even sacrificed one to science and
found no unused pairs in the jacket -- I've never seen any others, and
these carry 100FDX without complaints.