Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 16:27:09 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: umass becomes da0 over scbus

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:53:50PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Andrew Gordon, and lo! it spake thus:

> You haven't wired quite the right thing - your problem isn't that da0 has
> deviated from target0/unit0, it's that scbus0 isn't the bus you thought it
> was.  I use:
>
> device  scbus0 at sym0
> device  da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
>
> You presumably need "ahc0" in place of "sym0".

I'd do it the other way.  Note that this is on -CURRENT, so I'm using
hints, but everything else should transfer.

I've got several SCSI controllers, and a number of disks across them.  I
also occasionally plug up my parallel-port ZIP drive (yeah, I know, I
hate it too) to pull stuff off.  So, in my hints file, I have:

hint.scbus.10.at="vpo0"
hint.da.20.at="scbus10"

I don't forsee getting more than 10 'regular' controllers, or 20
'regular' drives anytime soon, so that's safe   :)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net