Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:39:07 -0600
From:      "Dinesh Punjabi" <dpunjabi@nyx.net>
To:        "Ben Smithurst" <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <doc@FreeBSD.org>, "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@urx.com>
Subject:   Re: 18.4.7. Update /etc  (this section is very confusing)

You are right on the money.
It talks about updating /etc as the heading, yet it says
that /usr and /var may also need to be updated.
So change the heading to reflect this.

Secondly, mention mergemaster as a way to merge things.

Third, there should be some comprehensive list of critical files
to worry about. It would be unreasonable to worry about
hundreds of files that need to be merged. For example, there
are some files that it says are under /etc but not in the new
release and vice versa ....

Fourth, the whole idea of putting datestamps should be mentioned
FIRST, then you explain the issue of doing a diff. The problem is
that the same process is explained without dates, and then repeatedly
explained with dates. If this is a cookbook, people who are unfamiliar
will blindly follow the first explanation (like me!) and get confused when
trying to understand the second explanation. In fact, try to address the
key issues first and then go in detail. I hope that makes sense. I am
still unclear as to what this section is doing besides telling me to merge
things that I deem required. In fact, there may be device files, etc. that
I have no clue as to which ones are needed. The heading says update
/etc but the diff shows EVERYTHING under the sun under /.
So what part is accurate and relevant ?

Thanks for responding ... I am grateful to all of you folks for your hard
work. I mean that and appreciate your willingness to listen.

Rgds/Happiness!

Dinesh