Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:11:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Shawn Kelly <kellysm_2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        mjy@geizhals.at, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reliable rackmount servers?

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Shawn Kelly wrote:

> I'm very, very new to FreeBSD. With that said, I have a couple of
> comments. I noticed that you left Compaq off of your list. I
> believe that Compaq has several servers that would fit the bill
> for you. Also, if you look in the FreeBSD Handbook you will note
> that FreeBSD supports many Compaq drive array controllers and
> NICs.

I have run FreeBSD 3.x and am now running FreeBSD 4.1 on Compaq
Proliant 3000 and Proliant ML530 servers, and they work flawlessly.
I don't have anything special in them like a RAID controller or dual
CPUs, though.  The Compaq NICs that all of my servers have are just
remarked Intel EtherExpress 10/100 cards of one type or another, so it
is no surprise that they work just fine.  I've got eight of them in
one server, even.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )