Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 11:17:17 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com cards/quotas

The commentary about "buggy" really ought to be amended.  The
3c509b's that I run have run flawlessly and the "buggy" refers to
motherboards that don't reset the ISA on a warm reboot, which
obviously is not everybody.  Others have written into the list
corroborating successful use of the 3c509b's as well.  Again the only
caveat is to turn off plug n play with the 3c5x9cfg utility on the
3com DOS disk.  The questions about "Is it _really_ buggy?" have
become sufficiently common that I'm hearby volunteering to write a
FAQ entry for "How come the 3c509 might be buggy?" - If the author of
the ep driver (for the 3c5x9 cards) would like additional
information, I may be able to get through to an engineer at 3com.
I'm quite happy with the card anyway on freeBSD and Win95.
(BTW, the freeBSD boxes I have are busy ftp servers and name/mail servers
for us - definitely doing fine in production network applications)

regards

> Date:          Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:31:20 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
> To:            questions@freebsd.org
> Subject:       3Com cards/quotas

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD 2.1 and I was really impressed with how easy
> it was.  I just have a few questions dealing with the online
> documentation; specifically two issues...
>
> We almost exclusively run Linux here, and the 3Com cards work great.  We
> like to stick with one vendor/model as much as possible so spares are easy
> to keep around.  In the online handbook, I see the 3C509 has a note next
> to it that says (buggy).  It seems to be OK, but this will be a production
> machine.  What I'm wondering is whether the handbook is referring to 2.1
> or 2.1.5 or both and if the driver is truly buggy what might be
> recommended as far as another ethernet card.
>
> Also, there will be user accounts on this box, and I'd like to implement
> quotas.  The handbook has a nice how-to, but in /etc/sysconfig I see a
> warning about turning on quotas.  Is this still flakey, and could anyone
> recommend whether or not the quota system would be OK on a production
> machine?
>
> I've got a third question as well (sorry):  What is the upper limit on the
> amount of memory FreeBSD 2.1 or 2.1.5 will recognize?
>
> Any suggestions on these issues are greatly appreciated...  As I mentioned
> currently 2.1 is installed (made the mistake of going thru InfoMagic
> instead of Walnut Creek) but I'm open to 2.1.5 as soon as the other CD
> arrives here...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles Sprickman

> Internet Channel SysAdmin Team		Internet Channel
> spork@super-g.com			212-243-5200
> spork@inch.com				access@inch.com

Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com