Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 16:55:23 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WARNING: portupgrade considered harmful

On Friday 28 February 2003 20:42, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:01:12AM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> > Some time ago, the maintainers of the pkgtools slipped a new ability
> > into portupgrade: the ability to silently move "obsolete" shared
> > libraries into /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.  This so-called "feature" has
> > caused me no end of trouble in the last few days.
>
> I have been asking knu why -u isn't a default option for quite a
> long time.  I always use -u and rarely have problems.

That's not a serious thing to consider, it would get too many users too
severely crippled software. See a related thread regarding packages for ports
with Makefile-switches I started a few days ago, we could consider
portupgrade to default to packages once such a thing is actually in place.

--
Regards,
	Michael Nottebrock