Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:41:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7400 gates effected by probe routine

I'll be more specific, I want to be able to detect an 8255 on ISA bus.
This goes back to the "dio" driver, you probably have or can get the
source code from the "gnats".  What bothers me is that I would really love
to have a probe routine here, but the board doesn't read anything
distinctive on startup. So I got an Idea on how to do a probe, but it
would not be safe for all situations is my problem (i.e. I don't know what
somebody might have connected to there dio board, the only safe state is
high impedance inputs, which in this case I think have pullups connected.)
If they do, I wonder if the outputs utilize open collector logic?
Unfortunately I don't have a schematic, because Industrial Computer Source
does not distribute those.
My proposed probe routine is as follows, but I am uncertain about a lot of
things in particular with the dio 48s:

I have already verified it works, I am just worried it might over time
destroy some equipment if the equipment is setup to give input to the dio
board.

There are two 8255's (@ iobase+0 & iobase+4) reset state for the 8255 is
all inputs.

a = inb(iobase+0)    //input on port a
outb (iobase+3, 0x8b)  //set port a to output
b = inb(iobase+0)    //should be = 0
outb (iobase+3, 0x9b)  //back to all inputs

Well I just thought of a time this wouldn't work, if someone had equipment
connected to port A all of whose inputs were 0.   It is nice to see a
transition but perhaps I should just switch each port to output and check
for it being in

Any clues on how to safely do probing?