Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:17:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maintainer of ft/lft

In reply:
> > HOW CAN YOU BE SO F***ING IGNORANT???
> >
> > As one in QIC observer status [check the QIC mailing list], I can
> > assure you that by sheer numbers alone, the vast majority of tape
> > drives in existance are QIC-117 compatable...
> >
> > need i say anything else???
>
> Yeah.  Explain why PIO to a chip without a FIFO to a drive where
> the manufacturers try to "unique feature" each other to death (thereby
> causing driver level incompatability) is a good thing?
>
> Do I need to go into the whole "VHS sucks, but it still won over Beta"
> discussion again?

QIC is QIC...  interchangable...  interoperable...  do you have the
standards documents?  i do...

yes, it's inefficient, yes, it sucks...  but should i reiterate?

isa sucks...  no free irqs really sucks...  win blows..

IT'S THE STANDARD...  LIVE WITH IT...

attitudes like you are showing are some of the reasons people use
linux, because linux is trying to support "standard" equipment...

terry, not everyone is as fortunate as you to own a storagetek or
cybernetics terabyte tape robot...

most people have QIC tape drives using a QIC-117 interface...

[flame mode off]

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or