Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2008 03:24:03 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kristian Rooke <kristianr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout.. Error occuring constantly.. Please help!!

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 07:00:42PM +1100, Kristian Rooke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC/box with 5 disks in it that I am using as a fileserver and
> I recently upgraded some hardware and installed FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE.
> Previously I had a RAID PATA IDE controller on the motherboard (was
> not using RAID functionality though), but I when I upgraded I had to
> use a PCI IDE controller, due to the lack of PATA ports on the new
> motherboard.
> Now when I am attempting to write files, or do anything more than just
> browse filesystems on the drives ad4-ad7, I get multiple occurrences
> of the errors below. After these errors occur the kernel panics and I
> need to perform a hard reset to get the server back up again.
>
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE
> RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE
> WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad6: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue
> timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad7: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad7: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad7: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE
> RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad7: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE
> WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad7: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue
> timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad6: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out
> LBA=163323135
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel:
> g_vfs_done():ad6s1[WRITE(offset=83621412864, length=16384)]error = 5
> <some output omitted>
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE
> RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE
> WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad4: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue
> timeout - completing request directly
> Sep 28 11:40:28 FileServer kernel: ad5: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET
> TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> [...]

Tracking these problems down takes a lot of time.  I hope you have the
time.  :-) Can you please provide the following output:

# dmesg
# pciconf -lv
# atacontrol list

Also, please install ports/sysutils/smartmontools (version 5.38 or
newer), and provide output for the following commands:

# smartctl -a /dev/ad4
# smartctl -a /dev/ad5
# smartctl -a /dev/ad6
# smartctl -a /dev/ad7