Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:05:01 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strlcat fixes

In message <20010116174845.A95772@peitho.fxp.org> Chris Faulhaber writes:
: The first ensures that memory is not read if strlcat is
: called with a 0 size, ensuring potentially unallocated
: memory is not read:
:
: -	while (*d != '\0' && n-- != 0)
: +	while (n-- != 0 && *d != '\0')

This doesn't matter.  The only time this would matter would be if dst
was NULL, which is undefined anyway.  There's no reason to change this
and it makes us gratuitously different than OpenBSD.

: The second corrects the wording regarding the return value:
:
: - * Returns strlen(src); if retval >= siz, truncation occurred.
: + * Returns the smaller of strlen(dst) + strlen(src) and siz + strlen(src);
: + * if retval >= siz, truncation occurred.

This is OK.  However, I'll talk to Todd Miller of OpenBSD tonight to
coordinate with them this change.  I'm having a beer with him and he's
keeper of libc in OpenBSD.  You might want to mail him before making
the change in our tree.

Warner