Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:33:30 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        "'Alfred Perlstein'" <bright@wintelcom.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.1 lockup at isa0: on reboot

snip
> > like your patch just comments out the whole for loop, right?
>
> Yes

I must admit that being a C coder I just couldn't resist modifying
pnp.c a little differently instead of using the patch. I modified
the for line to stop after 383 and before 3c3 by changing the
comparison in the for statement from "< 0xff" to "< 0xf0".

This did indeed do what I expected, stopping the for loop at 383
instead of 3c3, but the machine still locked up and the last line
displayed was "Trying Read_Port at 383" instead of 3c3. So, what
ever is going awry doesn't seem to involve the 3c3 port specifically.

This make was relatively painless since the only change was to pnp.c,
so I'll try commenting the whole loop out, and/or adding a printf
after
the for loop to see if it gets there.

> that's cool, being able to get a traceback from the hang would be
> good.

I don't know how to get a trace back from the hang. When I tried what
you suggested before, hitting Ctrl-Alt-Esc at the hang, there was no
response. It was apparently REALLY hung...

I'm used to using a symbolic debugger, where you can set breakpoints
based on lines in a source file. The Debug Page seemed to say that
wasn't available in DDB. What mechanism can I use in DDB to get
close to the error and start single stepping, or what ever?

Cla.