Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:01:34 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Dave Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        universe <universe@truemetal.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD And OS X

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:56:56AM -0500, Dave Leimbach wrote:

> > doesn't matter, because running such a divine OS like FreeBSD (or its
> > software packages respectively) under a macintosh environment/on a
> > macintosh
> > machine is just... BLASPHEMY!
>
> Man I hope you are not serious.  I would take a PowerPC chip over Intel
> compatible rubbish any day.  128 bit vector procession on the G4 rocks....
>
> Apple has new machines at 733Mhz <probably faster in most applications than
> a 1Ghz Intel> and it comes with a Gigbit Ethernet card.  Not that I can
> afford the switch to use it but if you are into clustering applications and
> stuff <its my job... I have to be into clustering> this system is ideal.
>
> I never cared much for the Mac GUI/Environment and found that running linux
> was the best way to get maximum value out of a Mac.  I have heard that FBSD
> is has PowerPC support on the way.
>
> If this is true I'd like to get me an IBM RS/6000 and a Mac to try it out.
>
> Dave <Leimy>

He said "a macintosh environment"... and he's right, it's blasphemy. The
original talk was about Mac OS X, which I'd never run. It's like a BSD
that has had its guts rearrange and partially removed, with an interface
that insults your intelligence... I like to call it "WannaBSD". I also
hear FFS support is buggy, which means you have to put up with that POS
filesystem HFS+.

I'd run a PowerPC system in a heartbeat if there was a good FreeBSD port
(maybe NetBSD is worth a try). I'd especially run one if they'd stop
with the damn artsy case designs, and just have a plain looking box.

About the vector processing in the G4... I don't believe linux PPC ports
support that. I think those ports are pretty rudimentary, so everything
that's great about the processor is pretty much useless. Just hope the
NetBSD team did better than the linux people...

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx