Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:58:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The curtain is going down on 2.1-stable in 5 days!

> On Nov 8,  2:09am, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> } Subject: The curtain is going down on 2.1-stable in 5 days!
> }
> } So.  David and I have decided that next Tuesday, the 12th of November,
> } would be an excellent time to start putting FreeBSD 2.1.6 to bed, and
> } if you've got any critical bug fixes or security problems to report in
> } 2.1-stable, now would be an excellent time to raise them before it's
> } too late.
>
> Security:
> 	the rwhod buffer overflow patch that's been circulating lately
>
> Bug fix:
> 	The de driver doesn't work especially well with the SMC 9332
> 	10/100 card.  About one in ten times, it is initialized to some
> 	funny state at boot time that causes the fault light on its
> 	hub to flash and all the HP-UX boxes on that hub to shut down
> 	their network interfaces.  The de driver swiped from from -current
> 	a few weeks ago and butchered so that compiles under -stable seems
> 	to work perfectly.  Judging by some of the comments in that version
> 	of the driver, I suspect this problem may affect other cards with
> 	the DC21140.

Further notes on the if_de.c driver... D-Link has revised the DFE-500TX
from revision B-1 to C-1, the card no longer works under RELENG_2_1_0,
and infact behaves just like the Kingston KNE100TX card.

So it now looks like the only card that I have qualified for 100MB/s
operation is the SMC9332, and above is a report about problems with
it :-(.

Bottom line... the if_de.c driver in -stable is in need of some serious
attention :-(.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD