Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 2009 21:07:51 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@googlemail.com>
To:        meslists@yahoo.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading installed ports: time to do it ?

2009/6/21 danny <meslists@yahoo.fr>:
> Hi list members ,
>
> I frequently update the contents of the ports tree but I have never upgraded
> any port. I am studying the way to do it, by following the handbook and an
> article on The FreeBSD Diary about the use of portupgrade.
> At the moment I am focuing the attention to the '/usr/ports/UPDATING' file.
> The question that arose is the following: is there any automated way to check
> if any of the port to be upgraded has specific upgrading notes written in
> that file ?
> Do you prefer doing a mass or selective upgrade ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> dan

I would tend to upgrade perl first; have a look in UPDATING to see how
it's done. That'll upgrade the majority of your ports too.

You may also have a small problem if you're still running XFree86
(which you probably will if you've had your system a while). Look in
UPDATING for that too, and then just do a portupgrade -aP.

Good luck, and I hope your processor's properly cooled!

Chris