Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 12:33:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

On Sat, Sep 27, 1997 at 08:39:46PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
>> I still don't see the problem.  CVS already has the solution: the RE
>> selects a certain date for the snap, basically whatever he wants.
>
> Yeah, right.  "OK, on Saturday, everything must work right, caue that's
> when I'm building the SNAP."
>
> *sarcasm on*
> How about it Jordan, seems reasonable and should work fine, right?
> *sarcasm off*

*reality on*
So how do you decide when you're going to cut a snap?  Or, given the
current situation, how did you?  At some point you made a decision.
This is no different.
*reality off^H^H^Hah what the hell, let's stay realistic*

>> He waits for the time to pass, pulls a copy of the repository (though
>> this is not really necessary), and then checks out -current as of the
>> time he decided for the snap.
>
> And if it doesn't work, then what?  He fixes bugs, and whiles he fixing
> them someone else is introducing new ones.

But this isn't a SNAP.

> The idea behind SNAPS is they're supposed to be fairly easy to
> produce, so going through the same gyrations as what is required for
> RELEASES shouldn't have to be done.

Nobody's saying it should be.  It's just a snapshot.

Somehow you're not understanding.  Nobody's asking anybody to do extra
work.  The only think I was originally asking was to know the time of
the snapshot.  If I have understood you, the problem has been that a
snapshot is a checkout of the main branch of the tree, and the
"problem" is that the tree is changing during checkout, so there isn't
a fixed time.  Correct or not?

1.  If this is correct, then you just have to check out the snap as of
    an arbitrary time in the not-too-distant past.  Any updates which
    come in after this time won't affect the checkout.  All anybody
    who wants to repeat the snap needs is the checkout time.

2.  If this isn't correct, and you're not doing patchwork on the
    checked-out version, what is the situation?  I certainly don't see
    any other possibility.

> If the world were a perfect place it would work fine, but it isn't.

If the world were a perfect place, we wouldn't need snaphots :-)

Greg