Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 12:57:27 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk bad sector question

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 08:05:38PM -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> Recently I started getting some read errors on some sectors on a SCSI
> disk running 4.6-PRE.
>
> Indeed the host adapter BIOS utility shows some bad sectors, but
> before I remap them I'd like to know what file(s) are using these
> sectors.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I tried using dd to copy
> the sectors and look at them but the data wasn't recognizable to me.
> (it's in the /var filesystem)
>
> Thx,
>
> Phil

Hi Philip,

Normally the data will be mapped to another partion of the disk and the
defective sectors will be added to the defective grow list.
You might take a look at 'man camcontrol' to get some more control
about your scsi devices, and to check those bad sector tables.
Be very carefull using that, though, inproper usage can destroy your
data.

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers