Date:      Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:38:58 +0200
From:      Pieter de Boer <pieter@thedarkside.nl>
Cc:        Dave+Seddon <dave-sender-1932b5@seddon.ca>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running out of mbufs?

Mike Silbersack wrote:

>> net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1024000
>> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1024000
>> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=20480000
> I don't think large socket buffers have been tested well, it's possible
> that you're exhausting almost all of your mbufs with just a few
> connections - if you're really stuffing that much data in.  I'd go back
> to the default settings for the above and try again.

With the added note that the send/recv spaces should be 65535 * 2^x
(which 1024000 isn't). I might add that there's still a bug in the
calculation of the TCP window scale option with regards to the set
window size, leading to a FreeBSD system advertising a too large
recvspace, which makes setting this option right even more necessary.
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/82470)

--
Pieter