Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:56:51 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suspend does not work on ThinkPad 600E and APM

> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:13:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
>
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I am running current (1/24) on a ThinkPad 600E. It seems to run fairly
> > well, but I can't get it to suspend. The screen turns off and I get a
> > two-tone set of beeps with Fn-F4 and "apm: ioctl(APMIO_SUSPEND): Invalid
> > argument" with "apm -z".
> >
> > Suspend worked fine on 4.7.
> >
> > I'd love any ideas on shat might be required to get it to work again.
>
> Suspend/hibernate only seem to work when running on battery power.
>
> If this isn't the problem make sure you're using 'APM' and that its
> enabled.

Thanks, Matthew, but this is not the problem. That problem existed
under V4. Under V5.0, I can't get it to suspend regardless of what I
do.

With the unit running on battery, the "suspend" LED flashes normally
for about 20 seconds and then I get the beep and things are back to
normal, but not suspended. I also tried removing the Ethernet card. It
detached nicely, but the system still won't suspend. APM is enabled
according to the output of apm(8).

It is possible that the problem is related to the death of my primary
battery. The only battery I have in the system is the slim-bay
battery. (The main battery won't charge and the second battery will
not charge with the main battery present, so I pulled the main.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)