Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:46:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        <mstark1@cfl.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best X Windows Manager for Newbies

Hi Mike!

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 mstark1@cfl.rr.com wrote:

> I just started using FreeBSD and am currently running
> GNOME with Enlightenment as a window manager and I find
> it to be a bit complex coming from a Windoze and BeOS
> environment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what
> would be a good window manager for a newbie? I have
> heard that KDE is pretty simple but I also heard that it
> is a resource hog. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
When you just started using FreeBSD you should stay with
enlightenment, because it came with the release and because
it works.
It looks complex, because you can configure everything
yourself. With Windows you can't. Enlightenments complexity
is the price you have to pay for your freedom.
When you feel at home a bit with freebsd you could try gnome
with sawfish. I think it is quite a bit faster than
enlightenment. And it looks a little bit more ...
"sensible" ...

Uli.