Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 02:58:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joa@delos.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot from floppy only

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Dave Hummel wrote:

> I've found alot of messages about this in the archives, but I'm still rather
> clueless on this...
> I have a network machine that runs win95 during business hours and I want to
> run FreeBSD on it. I do not want FreeBSD to be visible to the normal user, so I
> want to make it bootable by floppy only. If I use disklabel to make a bootable
> floppy I gather from what I read that I can tell the boot to look for the
> kernel on the FreeBSD partition, which is a IDE harddrive that has been split
> using fips. Would the proper syntax be  boot: wd(0,a)/kernel
> Would another (thew proper?) option be to put the kernel on the floppy and then
> to mount the FreeBSD partition?
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have another question on the same topic:
My bootstrap code refuses to remember my
	wd(0,b)/kernel
line I enter every time. This is a bit of a drag. When I booted from a
fixit floppy it got it rihgt the first time.
Maybe I should tell you that I believe I have BootEasy installed as well:
When I boot there is something that says
	Boot:	[F1]  BSD
	Default: F1

How do I make the kernel remember the slice it's on? :-(

c u Jo