Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:16:50 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting an msdos partition

Hey John,

> I just wanted to check on the stability and use of mount and
>mount_msdos.  I

I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2.8, and I've never had any problems
with mount_msdos screwing around with my FAT32 partition. Indeed, with
StarOffice loaded now, the only thing I need to boot to Win95 is for the
LotusNotes*Client* (still waiting for a Linux version of the Client).

So, any problems there may have been with mount_msdos are so small that
I've not come across them (and I use the FAT32 partition everyday - keep
my Netscape Bookmarks there, and some other stuff).

>issues/workarounds?  Do I need
> to use translation s/w to handle the CRLF issues?

It depends. Mainly on what you are transferring around, but typically
for ASCII text, yes, you will need to do some <CR> stripping when you
manipulate the files under Unix.

> files.  It would be great if StarOffice on FreeBSD could read
>and write the
> same files that MSOffice on Win98-2 could.  I also have

But it _does_. Tell the truth, possibly even better than MS-Office does
(boss recently had a corrupted Word97 file - my StarOffice5.1a was able
to read it, recover the text and 95% of the formatting, and I mailed him
a fix version, and saved the company quite a few thousands of dollars
;')

>FrontPage on Win98
> and it would be great if I could copy the files to my Apache
>directory, or
> if Apache would read the file from the msdos partition.

Outta my depth in this - someone else will know.

Hope this helps,

haxxa