Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:16:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Superuser <root@buffnet.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Slowdown (fwd)

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Garrett A. Wollman wrote:

> > Im not out to start a fight - I think FreeBSD has many wonderful features
> > and I use it for a few things even though the tcp/ip has troubles.
>
> I have seen no evidence to support this claim.  Pony up.

The basic symptom is a stall - as though the sockets werent any good
anymore without an error message.

If my trumpet users do not have van jacobson compression turned on for
instance, they can connect to my freebsd news server, but cannot
successfully pull over the entire active headers - it stops after a
couple records. (freebsd's virtual memory and disk buffering and the fact
that linux crashed too much under the load is why i use freebsd anyways
and make everybody turn on van jacobson)

If I ftp to ftp.cdrom.com using a freebsd on my ethernet ring to theirs,
I can connect ok, and things seem ok, unless I cd and ls too many times.
I can maybe do 10 or 15 commands, and then it stalls.  I can issue ls and
it returns back like there are no files there or something.  But I can cd
and ls till Im blue with one of my sco's connected to that same ftp server.

If I have a web site installed on a freebsd wherein the pages contains a
lot of large graphics, they will come over half way and stall.  Moving to
sco or linux and it stops stalling.

You dont ever get an error message in any of this - just a stall, as
though the requested action completed, even though it didnt.

This occurs with 2.0R 2.05R and 2.1R with or without the extended stuff
turned off (where its possible to turn it off that is).

I dont know enough of the underlying protocol(s) to know why it would do
this.  I theorize that some form of timeout or retry count somewhere is
too tight or isnt getting reset or something.

So whether or not Ive got an annex in the middle, a digiboard port server
or Im on the same ethernet ring it does this - different machines (some
are 486 and some are pentium).  I do note that I have far less problem on
slower machines with less ram in them.  Especially the one 486/25 - it
suffered the least problem of the lot - which is why I thought perhaps it
was a timeout thing - like something counting loop iterations instead of
using a clock.