Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:08:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Passki, Jonathan P" <jpasski@kpmg.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: partition label question, assigning a new label on an existing sy stem...

Passki, Jonathan P writes:
> Hello All,
> Can I take an existing installation of fbsd, which has 5 different partition
> labels defined (/, swap, /usr, /usr/home, and /var), create a new partition
> label, assign is as a child directory of an existing label (/usr/ports,
> under /usr, for example), and not run the risk of corruption to the file
> system of /usr?  I'm kinda confused on how fbsd (ffs) works w/ mounting new
> labels, and don't just want to try it, to see if it works (a dialup line
> really is a pain for installing XF86 and gnome).

Your terminology is very confused - and confusing.

A partition is a piece of a disk - a set of block that can be
described by a starting and ending block number. This description also
fits a "slice", but they are different thing. Slices are understood by
pretty much all x86 operating systems, and are described in the MBR on
the disk. Partitions are a Unix thing, and in FreeBSD are *inside* of
slices that have a FreeBSD type (except for Dangerously Dedicated
disks, which don't have slices, just partitions). To further confuse
the issue, most other systems don't have partitions in the BSD sense,
and call slices "partitions".

Partitions aren't labeled or assigned, they are mounted.  Mounting
takes a directory somewhere in the existing file system, and causes
references to it to actually go to the root of the file system on the
partition being mounted. For example "mount /dev/da0s2f /usr/ports"
would cause the file system on the f partition of the 2nd slice of the
first scsi disk to be accessed through the directory /usr/ports.

So, if you're asking if you can mount a partition on /usr/ports
without corrupting /usr, the answer is yes. If, on the other hand, you
are asking if you can create a new partition whose physical blocks are
inside of the ones used by /usr without corrupting /usr, the answer is
no.

	<mike