Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:48:52 +0000 (WET)
From:      Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, hm@hcs.de
Subject:   Re: Big ATA problems

Hi again,

After remaking the loader (unnecessary since it's still broken), I've
removed my KLDs from loader.conf (I was loading a splash screen) and it
now boots as Bryan noticed.

However it seems another problem showed up, and I'm not sure where the
problem is.

I have a Teles ISDN card on this machine which was working very well
before this change using it's factory default IO configuration which
places it at 0xd80. It's driver however due to some hardware "features"
unknown to me says the following:

ata-pci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA-33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1
on pci0
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
isic0 at port 0xd80,0x960-0x99f,0x160-0x19f,0x560-0x59f irq 10 flags 0x3
on isa0
isic0: Teles S0/16.3

This obviously conflicts with the secondary IDE controller which lies at
0x170, however this has not been a problem till this day and no driver
complained about this. Now, with the newer kernel I get this:

atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on
pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
isic0: Error allocating io at 0x160 for Teles S0/16.3!

While I was able to use the Teles again by changing it's default IO port I
think there will be some people who will find it cumbersome to have to
change the IO on a card that was working fine before.

I feel this is a newbus issue with the ATA driver and/or maybe the i4b
driver doesn't really need that many IO ports so I'm sending this email to
both parties.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Gabriel