Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:52:59 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rcf@ms.washington.edu, dnelson@allantgroup.com
Subject:   Re: freetype2 after XFree86-4 install

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:44:06AM -0700, Richard Fairfield wrote:
 > Dan:
 >
 > Thanks for the suggestion. I already had portupgrade installed on my
 > system so I did this:
 > 	pkgdb -F	# answered yes to fix all problems with freetype2
 > 	portupgrade freetype2
 >
 > Now, here is the freetype2 entry from "pkg_version -v":
 > 	freetype2-2.1.0_1         =   up-to-date with port
 >
 > And, as far as I can tell, everything X-ish is working properly after
 > the port upgrade.

This may be kind of off-topic, although it is about freetype2:
when I try to portupgrade freetype2, I get errors like the
following:

[snip]
  install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 $P
  /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype ; \
          done
	"Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
	"Makefile", line 28: Need an operator
	"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 46: Need an operator
	"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 48: Need an operator
	"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 59: Missing dependency
	operator
	"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 61: Need an operator
	Error expanding embedded variable.
	"Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
[snip, continues with same error messages over and over again]
.
.
.
[snip]
"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 46: Need an operator^
"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 48: Need an operator
"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 59: Missing dependency operator
"./builds/toplevel.mk", line 61: Need an operator
Error expanding embedded variable.
gmake: *** [install] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/print/freetype2.
*** Error code 1
[snip]

freetype2-2.0.9 gets reinstalled from the backed up version (thanks to
portupgrade, I love it) and no new freetype2 for me.. This will become
annoying at some time, since I like to do portupgrade -R whatever_port,
and some day, this error will come back to me. Has anyone an idea what
or why this could be?

thanks and regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos